My main work until recently was large commissioned public mural-paintings, and they are the main content of this website. Recently though I have returned to the studio, and the work is less public: more personal and exploratory. I am starting to put such works onto my Instagram page. I teach painting and drawing part-time at Bristol Folkhouse
The majority of my public murals have been in a clear representation style, with meaning easily read. However, sometimes the site-specific purpose of a work has suggested or dictated another style, eg. using stencils or an abstract style even.
For me, making public art is more fulfilling than private art-making. All of my public works have involved working to specific briefs and in discussion with site-users. Such conditions might be seem restricting to some artists, but I find working with and for a public a rewarding experience. Sometimes I have even found that constraints imposed on me by practicalities of the site, by commissioners or site-users, are challenges that have raised my game: expanded my thinking, triggered fresh ideas and ultimately improved the artwork.
My art teaching is fed by my broad experience of art-making, which has been varied in terms of style, media and techniques. This enables me to support (and challenge!) students, who have a variety of aims and approaches.
- 2015 Mural for Broomhill Junior School, Bristol, designed by the children.
- 2013 Mural painting for elderly persons ward of Royal United Hospital, Bath.
- 2012 Mural painting for Shirehampton Methodist Church.
- 2010 Mural painting, Bedminster railway station, Windmill Hill, Bristol
- 2008 Decorative mural-painting in hospital corridor, BRI, Bristol
- 2006 Second mural for the children's garden, Royal United Hospital, Bath
- 2005 First mural for the childrens' garden, Royal United Hospital, Bath
- 2004 Community Mural, Barton Hill, Bristol
- 2003 8 Portraits of maritime explorers, on the SS. Great Britain, Bristol
- 2002 Mural design for the Civic Centre, Newport City Council (Gwent) and Artworks Wales
- 2001 Abstract mural, City of Bristol College.
- 2000 Mural, Lloyds Pharmacy and Bristol City Council
- 1999 Platform mural painting, Stapleton Rd. Railway Station, Easton, Bristol
• 1999 Mural, George Forrester, Bristol
• 1984 Paintings for Hotel National, Bern, Switzerland
• 1983 Portrait of lung-cancer victim, commissioned by A.S.H
• 2002 – present: Teacher of Painting and Drawing, Bristol Folk House Cooperative
• 1999 -2002 Teacher of Painting, Bristol Community Education Service
• 1978 -1980 Secondary School Art teacher, Rutlish School, Merton, London SW10.
Qualifications and training
• 1977 PGCE & ATD, Bristol University
• 1975 BA Hons, Fine Art, Bristol Polytechnic